powered by the Iowa City Press-Citizen & The Des Moines Register
Subscribe via RSS Feed

Backup Nesbitt faces difficult decision

[ 0 ] December 29, 2010 |

Iowa guard Trisha Nesbitt has an extra reason for awaiting the start of a new year.

Nesbitt, a sophomore from Ames, has missed all season with a torn tendon in her foot. She figures Sunday’s game against

Michigan will be a key day in determining whether she plays this season or sits out and seeks a medical hardship that would grant her an extra season.

If Nesbitt plays after Jan. 2 and re-injures the foot, she cannot seek the medical hardship.

“I don’t have to decide by then, but I can’t play past that day,” Nesbitt said. “I don’t want to waste this year. I’d really like to play, but as of now it’s been a slow process. I don’t want to take the redshirt, but if I’m not able to contribute, then that’s what I’ll have to do.”

Nesbitt is the backup to Kamille Wahlin at point guard. While she is out, shooting guard Jaime Printy has to spell Wahlin at the point.

If Wahlin or Printy are injured or get in foul trouble, Iowa will be short on ball handlers.

“We have to be really smart in our evaluation of her,” Iowa coach Lisa Bluder said. “I definitely think Trisha can help us win games. Now, it really becomes, ‘what chance do we have of losing her (to another tear)?’

“Unfortunately, there’s no medical person that will tell me, ‘there’s a 90 percent chance that she will make it through the year’ or ‘there’s a 10 percent chance that she’ll make it through the year.’ ”

What makes the decision tricky is that Nesbitt has torn the tendon three times, most recently in October. The pain is most acute in her heel and runs the length of the left side of her foot.

“The second one (in July), I came back pretty fast, but the third one, I couldn’t hardly walk and my foot was put in a cast,” Nesbitt said.

When she feels the tendon tighten, she knows it’s about to tear again. Right now, she feels soreness, not tightness.

“Every day, we’re pushing it a little bit more,” she said. “Hopefully, by Jan. 2, I’ll be able to know or make a decision about whether I’ll be good this year or not.”

Tags: ,

Category: Iowa Hawkeyes women's basketball

About Dan Johnson: View author profile.

Comments closed