The sixth-seeded Iowa men will play No. 11 Northwestern in the first round of the Big Ten tournament on Thursday in Indianapolis, Ind. Tip will be approximately 8 p.m. at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The game will be televised on ESPN2.
Thursday’s winner will play No. 3 seed Michigan State in the quarterfinals. That game will also start at approximately 8 p.m.
The Hawkeyes had the same draw last season, beating the Wildcats in the first round, 73-59, then losing 59-56 against Michigan State in the quarterfinals. The Spartans have eliminated Iowa from the last three Big Ten tournaments.
Iowa, 20-11 overall, lost five of its last six games to finish sixth in the standings at 9-9 for a second straight season. Northwestern passed Purdue for the 11th seed by beating the Boilermakers 74-65 on Sunday at Mackey Arena.
BIG TEN TOURNEY SCHEDULE
Thursday’s first round
- No. 8 Indiana vs. No. 9 Illinois, 11 a.m.
- No. 5 Ohio State vs. No. 12 Purdue, 1:30
- No. 7 Minnesota vs. No. 10 Penn State, 5:30
- No. 6 Iowa vs. No. 11 Northwestern, 8
- No. 1 Michigan vs. Indiana/Illinois, 11 a.m.
- No. 4 Nebraska vs. Ohio State/Purdue, 1:30
- No. 2 Wisconsin vs. Minnesota/Penn State, 5:30
- No. 3 Michigan State vs. Iowa/Northwestern, 8
- Michigan/Indiana/Illinois vs. Nebraska/Ohio State/Purdue, 12:40
- Wisconsin/Minnesota/Penn State vs. Michigan State/Iowa/Northwestern, 3:05
- Semifinal winners, 2:30 p.m.
Category: Iowa Hawkeyes men's basketball